Contact: Courtney Summers
To access Resource Guide: Monongalia County Resource Guide 2024
To access Monongalia County Overview: United Way FRN
United Way Family Resource Network
Encouraging and empowering our local community through parent leadership, community awareness, capacity building, and cooperative planning to create resilient and sustainable families in Monongalia County.
The UWFRN is an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for Monongalia County’s children and families. The UWFRN encourages and empowers the local community through parent leadership, community awareness, capacity building and cooperative planning to create resilient and sustainable families. The FRN represents an important partnership between state governments and local communities to identify needs and develop a plan to meet them.
Ways We Help:
UWFRN serves as a primary coordinating and planning body for Monongalia County’s community service system. Rather than providing direct services, the UWFRN performs several important roles impacting children and families:
- Identifies community needs and gaps in services
- Builds community capacity to address identified needs
- Promotes public awareness regarding policies and issues
Current Areas of Work:
UWFRN is continually developing collaborative relationships to ensure that Monongalia County children and families meet the following goals: to achieve and maintain good physical and mental health, to be ready to succeed in school, to possess marketable skills and have access to good jobs, to have adequate resources to protect, nurture, educate and support themselves, to live in permanent and stable homes, and to be safe in their home and community.
Highlights and Accomplishments:
- Mobilized the Food and Hunger Committee with numerous food drives, outreach activities, and sharing resources and information.
- Organized the Children and Family Leadership Council to coordinate and provide trainings and educational outreach for area professionals and members of the public.
- Implemented the Strengthening Families and Circle of Parents programs to help families become more resilient and sustainable.
- Developed and maintained partnerships with area organizations, businesses, groups and other funders to provide events, such as Holiday Food and Toy and the Outerwear Drive, which benefit our families.
- Collaborated with organizations and volunteers to create the Born Learning Trail to provide a healthy family-friendly activity in our community.
- Worked in partnership with FamilyWize to provide prescription benefits information to area pharmacies and families
- Assisted and mobilized agencies utilizing Emergency Food and Shelter Funding.
- Engaged programs, services, and systems already supporting and working with children and families in partners in preventing mistreatment, promoting development, offering support and resource information.